“On The Far Side” Contest (Unpublished)
Cost: FF&P Members $20.00, Non-members $25.00
On the Far Side IS ALL ELECTRONIC! NO MAILING FEES!
2015 FF&P On the Far Side Contest Timeline:
· March 15th Contest open for entries
· May 16th Contest closes at Midnight EST
· August 4th OTFS winners notified and announced
1st rule: Every category MUST contain a futuristic, fantasy, or paranormal element.
2nd rule: Entrant must not be published in full-length fiction (40,000+) for the genre entering/or not published in genre entering for past 5 years. To further clarify, if your current WIP or entry is a paranormal historical then you can enter even if you are published in standard paranormal, etc.
Submit entry here: http://www.romance-ffp.com/on-the-far-side-unpublished/
Entry shall be no longer than first twenty pages, and may include a 2-page synopsis (Synopsis not judged, yet this will help judge determine elements of story and offers a chance for practice at a very important skill)
When submitting your 20- pages, please adhere to industry standards:
· 1” margins
· 12-point face type, Times New Roman
· Optional synopsis should follow manuscript portion of entry.
· Do not include illustrations, author bio/photos, vocabulary lists, or footnotes
· The title and category should be on the top left of the page, page number on top right
· The author’s name shall not appear on the submission. Entries bearing the author’s name shall be disqualified
· Entry and payment for submission must be submitted by midnight EST May 16, 2015.
· Entries must be received in RTF (Rich Text Format) file only. To convert your file to RTF, open the document, go to File, click Save As and choose RTF from drop down options. This will create a new document with same title.
· No more than TWO (2) entries per entrant per category.
•ROMANTIC ELEMENTS: Any of the below categories with romantic elements (a romance plays a significant part in the story, but other themes or elements take the plot beyond the traditional romance boundaries. No HEA required. Think Gone with the Wind)
•HARD SCIENCE FICTION/SF/FUTURISTIC: Set in the future with science fiction elements that include technological advancements; these stories may involve futuristic earth, other planets, aliens, or space travel. (Think Star Trek)
•DARK/LIGHT/GENERAL PARANORMAL: Paranormal happenings are a major element of the plot. (Think JR Ward’s Black Dagger Brotherhood)
•TIME TRAVEL/STEAMPUNK WITH PARANORMAL ELEMENTS: A character or characters travel back or forward in time; these stories can take place in a historical, contemporary, or futuristic setting. Steampunk should include typical steampunk elements.
•URBAN FANTASY: Includes mythical creatures and magical/paranormal elements. Settings and time frame are current modern world.
•FANTASY: Setting takes place in medieval world. (Think Lord of the Rings).
•YOUNG ADULT: Novels appropriate for teen and young adult readers, typically featuring main characters in high school or college. These stories may take place in a contemporary, historical, futuristic, or otherworldly setting. Minimum word count: 40,000 words. (Think Twilight)
•NEW ADULT: Specialty romance for readers ages 18-24.
•HISTORICAL: Historical with paranormal elements. These stories must take place in the past – from ancient times to WWII.
•EROTIC ROMANCE (WITH PARANORMAL ELEMENTS): No straight erotica – this means there must be a HEA ending or at least a Happy For Now and your entry must contain a significant paranormal element (such as a futuristic setting; time travel; paranormal creatures–vampires, shape shifters, werewolves, and or any other mythical creatures or magical elements typically deemed fantasy, futuristic or paranormal in nature.)
· First round entries will reviewed by experienced, qualified, or published judges
· FF&P cannot guarantee commentary on every entry, however we strongly encourage our judges to provide positive, constructive feedback.
· Entries will be judged by a minimum of FOUR (4) first round judges. Lowest score will be dropped to determine final average. Three highest score manuscripts will advance to the final round. All judged copies will be returned to non-finalist entrants around July 1st, 2015. Finalist entries will be returned after winners are announced on August 4th.
Final round judges for the 2015 On The Far Side contest:
ROMANTIC ELEMENTS – Andrea Somberg, Harvey Klinger Inc.
HARD SCIENCE FICTION/SF/FUTURISTIC – Laurie McLean, FUSE
DARK/LIGHT/GENERAL PARANORMAL – Peter Senftleben, Kensington
TIME TRAVEL/STEAMPUNK – Cassie Knight, Senior Editor, Champagne Book
URBAN FANTASY – Melissa Singer, Tor
FANTASY – Chris Keeslar, Boroughs Publishing
YOUNG ADULT – Becca Stumpt- Prospect Agency
NEW ADULT – Connor Goldsmith - Fuse
HISTORICAL – Valerie Mann, Decadent
EROTICA – Elisabeth Nelson, Ellora’s Cave
Enter contest or sign up to judge first round by visiting: http://www.romance-ffp.com/on-the-far-side-unpublished/
For more information contact the Contest Coordinator, Jillian Jacobs at email@example.com